Installed owncloud a week ago and so far so good. This is really the company version of the popular dropbox.
The previous release 3.x had quite a bit to wish for. But I think with 4 that it is darn close to a home run!
So what could it do for your company?
1. It will encrypt your files on the server in your data center.
2. You can create a team calendar that you can use on your iPhone
3. You can share files with teams and groups
4. I set up a user that iPhones can use for contacts. So this user has all the mobile phones and names for everybody in the company. So now a new employee can just add this carddav account to their phone and automatically get instant access to phone numbers on his/hers mobile device.
5. It is easy to skin the UI to fit your company profile
6. The sync clients are available for Mac, Linux and also source
It is all standard web server and php. I ended up trying it out on Centos 5.5 and Ubuntu 12. Both where pretty straight forward to get working (I had to update php on Centos, but my team already had that packaged for me.
I did go a bit mad on upload max size and tried out some huge files. This was not very efficient and I decided that the NAS is better for these kind of files. I ended up with 20 Meg as max upload size.
I have tried some of the plugins including the google api plugin (works fine) but have not figured out any good usage for it…..
The iphone client on the appstore (99c) works well so far and it is nice to be able to just upload your images that comes from all different directions.
I also think that this might be a good way to share data with external parties (still thinking about that one).
1. Tiny VM with a couple of cores
2. A nice little sun SAN 7310